18 July 2016

Maynooth to Napanee - Day 7

Up bright and early, left Maynooth, and hit the road to Napanee, arriving early enough to visit Riverside Cemetery where a number of my dead ancestors reside.



And glad I was to have arrived early.  Riverside is HUGE, and in order to collect all the ancestral residents, I walked it all, every lumpy square metre.  Fortunately, Riverside has lots of trees that semi-protected me from the blazing sun.  Those trees were also seriously blowin', so I did a fair amount of chasing my hat and hoping that a weak limb didn't come crashing down on me.  These are observations, not complaints:  without the wind I would not have survived.

After Riverside, I checked into my hotel and set off for the local, air-conditioned public library.  They had a different collection of local history books, which is not surprising given their proximity to Adolphustown (tomorrow's goal).  I also learned about a county museum (maybe time tomorrow) and Family Papers filed in the Archives of Ontario.  The latter, of course, are in Toronto, not Ottawa.  I must come back!  And I should do it in the winter.

Napanee, which may be the same as Greater Napanee (haven't figured that one out), is much larger (multiple Tim Horton's) than the places I've been previously.  Big box stores on the outskirts, with a downtown that reminds me of Corvallis -- old-ish, short-ish buildings with odd businesses.  But this town must have been very prosperous at one time or another, as it has beautiful, old houses in abundance.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment